Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Increase blog visitors


Today, I'm answering reader queries. First up is Harsh, who says: 


Q I have started my personal blog. However, I'm not satisfied with the content on it. Please help me with tips to improve the content and bring in visitors.

A Oh my god! There are a million ads on your blog.Are you making any money off them? Sometimes, people just put in ads hoping readers will click on something.But youshouldn’t do that unless you have a visitor count of about 500 a day. Too many ads just looks annoying and makes me want to click away fast.

Also,this template has to go.Pretty flowers and butterflies are very well for teenagers talking about their personal lives, but you're posting about how to get Twitter follower sand how to shorten long URLs. You need a template that reflects that. Besides that, your posting is frequent, your tips overprotect, and in time,you should get more readers.

Up next is Pratima:


QHi, I'm 20 years old. I'm interested in writing a blog but I have noclue how to go about it. I would loveto write about entertainment, media, and college life.

AThe newest client that supports blog hosting is Tumblr. It’sshort, sweet and simple with great design layouts and combines Facebook and Twitter.Or you could also opt for Bloggeror Word press. They are geared towards people starting out, with customisable templates and space.

You could also read about the subjects you want to write about. Check out High Heel Confidential (www.highheelconfidential.com) for notes on Indian fashion, Jezebel (www.jezebel.com) for funny and interesting takes on social culture and celebrities. Or just Google your way through all the reading you can. Blogging is fun, and once you start you'll wonder why you ever hesitated.

Meenakshi writes a blog at thecompulsiveconfessorblogspot.com. Send her your queries at meenakshimadhavan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment