Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Online storage account can ease things

About six years ago, when I got myself a Gmail account, the 2GB free storage they offered seemed like a lot and I indulged like hell, choosing to subscribe to any newsletter that caught my fancy, never really deleting my mail. Reality hit home last week, when Google announced my memory was getting close to the 7.5 GB limit Google offers on the latest count.



I immediately hollered on Twitter, seeking help on how to get over this problem. Some, in true Indian "jugaad" style, suggest I create another mail account and forward my mails. Some offered good tips on how to spot useless/big files and delete them. But the most sensible thing seemed to be from a colleague, who said I must simply purchase 20GB online storage from Google for what he thought was a very cheap price-$5 a year-or about Rs 225.

He has a point. I am uncomfortable about searching for files from a pile of email, My advice, based on my experience, is that we should try and store files online in an organised format. Being on the move, or sharing files between office and home computers is quite common and it might be worth going for online storage in the "could" (Internet-based storage).

I have been using free storage at Box.net, which offers a humble 1 GB free. The positive features include a desktop-computer like appearance of folders and a software application which can be used to drag and drop files from your desktop PC to your online storage. It offers premium facilities from $10 (Rs 460) a month.

There are also other sites that offer increasingly better, richer features, both free as well as paid. Make your pick based on your needs and budgets.

ADrive.com claims to offer the largest amount of free storage and backup on the Internet - 50 GB. Its enhanced service features include increased storage capacity for premium users. At about $7 (Rs 325 per month), Adrive offers an online editor, customer support, file history, remote file transfer and other features.

FreeDrive.com seems cool. It is a personal storage and file sharing service designed for user of social networks, such as Facebook, MySpace and Bebo. With just a single FreeDrive account (1GB free), user can access both their own files and their friend's files from within any social network they happen to be on.

No comments:

Post a Comment