Thursday, July 29, 2010

What the hack!




Shibani Kashyap has learnt a memorable lesson: Not to log on to the Internet from an alien computer. A few days ago, someone hacked into her Facebook and email account and at the end of the ordeal, she had to delete one e-mail ID and open a new one for work-related communication only.



On Monday night, Kashyap logged on to her Gmail to discover that her Facebook password had been changed. Says Kashyap, "I was horrified to see a mail notifying me that my password had been changed. It look me a while to get into my profile and by then, the hacker had changed my Gmail password. And by the time I sorted had been hacked."

Soon after, Kashyap lodged a complaint with the Cyber Crime Cell. A couple of days later, she was informed that the IP (Internet Protocol) address that meddled with her accounts had been traced to Kolkata. "Unfortunately, they could not find the hacker," she shrugs, adding that she also wrote to Google and Facebook, complaining about their security measures.

Thought Kashyap is surprised to hear that the IP address was traced to Kolkata, she attributes the entire escapade to her visit to a cyber cafe in Andheri's Lokhandwala Complex a month ago. "I think my ID and password got leaked from there. Fortunately for me, the hacker didn't send out any mails from my account. Seems like the person was only looking for some information."

As a precautionary measure, Kashyap shut her Rediffmail account also and opened a new one at Gmail. "I'm not closing the current one. I will continue to operate it for regular stuff. As for all my work related communication, I'll be using the new account. I've learnt to trust only my personal computer," she concludes.

No comments:

Post a Comment